Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.
Homeowners covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people. This includes damage caused by your pets.
Damage caused by most disasters is covered but there are exceptions. Not covered is damage caused by floods, earthquakes and poor maintenance. You must buy two separate policies for flood and earthquake coverage. Maintenance-related problems, such as peeling paint or cracked windows, are your responsibility.
This page contains information on homeowners and renters insurance in South Carolina. Topics include insuring your home, filing a claim when something goes wrong and protecting your home against damage from weather, fire and crime. Just click on the links below.
- What coverage does a standard homeowners policy include?
- Are there different kinds of policies? What do I need?
- What kind of insurance can I get if I rent a house or apartment?
- What type of insurance do I need for a condo or co-op?
- What types of disasters are covered by my homeowners insurance?
- What is needed to file a claim after a disaster?
- Does my homeowners insurance cover flooding?
- How can I protect my home from flooding?
- How can I prevent home break-ins?
Easy to use Windows™ and MAC™-based software. Everything you need to catalog your belongings room-by-room with photos and details.